We have now transitioned to Pumpkin Dog treats! I have created a monster, my dog now just begs and begs for homemade dog treats. Her desire is my command, plus my husband has been brewing more, so getting spent grain is pretty easy. Over the past two months, I have been baking her peanut butter treats and wanted to switch it up a bit. I had a lot of whole-grain flour left over, so decided to come up with a recipe eliminating the wheat flour. When buying wheat flour some of the companies add a whole lot more than wheat flour and for the pure wheat flour, the price tag goes up. Now the one downside of this recipe, although a cleaner option for your dog, is that the treats are more brittle. If you are used to the traditional Milk bones, these will have more of a grain look.
Pumpkin Dog Treats
- 1 1/2 cups Spend Grain Flour (see this post for how to make your own)
- 5 cups Spent Grains (Fresh from the brew day. Make sure the gains do not contain hops)
- 2 1/2 Tbls ground Flax Seed mixed with 6 Tbls water
- 1 can (16 oz) Pure Pumpkin (Make sure the only ingredient is Pumpkin. I use Libby’s)
- Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the spent grain flour and spent grains.
- In a small bowl mix together the ground flax seed and water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the 1 can of pure pumpkin to the spent grain mixture. Mix well.
- Drizzle the flax seed and water mixture over the spent grains.
- You will now need to prepare the treats for the oven. I purchased paw and bone shaped cookie cutters from Amazon that work great.
- Place 1/2 of the spent grain mixture on your prepared surface. Using your hands, make a rectangle that is 1/4 inch thick. The thicker the longer they will need to cook. Using a knife to cut in squares of cookie cutters, cut out the treats.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the treats on the parchment paper.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Decrease temperature to 170 degrees and bake another 2 hours. Baking time will vary based on size of treats. Large treats may take 3 hours. The treats are done when they are hard and cooked all the way through.